Saturday, October 15, 2011

(Reaction on Maritime Terrorism)


A Reaction Paper on the Symposium on “Asia Pacific Security,
Maritime Terrorism and Spratlys:
Issues on Asian Politics”

The over-all performance showed between Prof. Rommel Banlaoi and Dr. Aileen Baviera were so commendable for being highly informative.  Though it was a struggle for me to be early in school for catching up the opening program because I had encountered a problem on my laptop that needs further time to get fixed at downtown area, I felt that all those in-a-hurries were worth in relative to the vast of knowledge that I learned on that Saturday.

There was no electricity to begin with. So I pondered upon the ceiling in my room on what it might create to the awaited symposium at the 3rd Floor Library inside UPVTC. I began scanning my cellphone with messages of my classmates asking who went ahead in the venue. So much for the electricity problem, grumbling stomach craving for food, I also carry the problem of my laptop not operating well on that day. With all these bits of burden, I went to the campus and joined all the students in semi-formal wears. Well, that was good enough to set an atmosphere of a formal discussion between intellectuals.

Though the program started late, I think it was forgivable given the failure of LEYECO for not giving prior notice of the said brown-out. I saw how busy the organizers were from the registration booth to the sound system adjustments and up to the serious mitigation of braving the road given the formal attire in buying gasoline for sustaining the generator. Anyway, I see myself in them. I know a lot of fora, symposia, and things alike that awaits our efforts when we turn to be seniors next year.

            In few minutes around 10 in the morning, I knew it was relieving to witness the coming back of electricity. Immediately the program started. I had a thought before that the venue cannot give as much as satisfaction when it would otherwise be at the AS Conference Hall. Well, I proved myself that my assumptions were all wrong. It was relaxing to be seated on the chair at the 3rd Floor Library given the fresh air that comes from the nearby trees and the good feeling that the venue was wide enough to comfortably fit a number of students, and so much for that…

            Moreover, with all the contentment, I knew that the issue on Maritime Terrorism is rarely met. I was just fortunate to be seated on the second row where the speaker Professor Banlaoi was standing closely. It is already a privilege to diligently pay attention to his lecture and witness him for he had already this experience of talking to the world’s feared people- the terrorists. His expertise on maritime terrorism which comprises the economically motivated piracy and politically motivated terrorism gave the dichotomy of terms well understood and cleared.

            In his discussion, we had gladly clarified our confused idea on the matters regarding Spratlys. This particularly deals on what are the names of its few islands and islets, who owned those, what are being built among those islands, and how are some of the Islands in Spratlys that of which owned by China be compared to those owned by Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, and Philippines.

            I think his photography efforts in capturing the beauty of Spratlys creates more words that are self-pondering. The images of the islands owned by the Philippines are too far in comparison to what those of China’s, Taiwan’s, etc. These countries built concrete runways and concrete buildings on the islands that they claimed. But the sad reality is the face of the Philippine Government looking weak in claiming the islands. The arid runway, igloo-like structure, and some bamboo fenced establishment built on some Philippine owned islands reflects the level of competitiveness of the Philippines over other Asian countries that continue to contest some of the believed rich islands.

            To add up the wisdom, Professor Baviera’s macro-political view in the name of the international community, the superpowers, and the rising China was very enlightening. It firstly gave me an answer to whether or not I should regret the rise of China. Moreover, her facts and analysis were all striking. I find it remembering to see USA as democratic internally and undemocratic internationally with relative to China being undemocratic but acting democratically in the global arena. Though the number one factor that lessens the discussion on the burden proof was the time, I think all the details that she bombarded were all enough to formulate an individual analysis on the rise of China in Asia as a superpower globally.

Seated on the left wearing a polo shirt with a blue pen on my
left hand, we were gathered together with my
Political Science majors. :)
            Given all the beauty offered by the symposium, I think what makes me to regret too much is the wasted chance in asking both speakers. I had questions in me to both speakers which were left hanging on my mind. Perhaps I just lack the reinforcement and courage to bravely stand on the microphone and speak with the guests.

            Anyway, it was fun. It was fun equivalently filled with knowledge supplied by experts. I had a good time with my batch mates during the wave of presentations that began after the all the presentations of the guest speakers.

            Over-all, the symposium was pretty good. I just hope to actively participate on some other gatherings that happen to be also like that. I am hoping to learn more from expert individuals on their specific field in politics. Furthermore, it was just self-fulfilling and worthy to experience in attending such gathering.


No comments:

Post a Comment