Sunday, December 11, 2011

Haunted by Joel Lamangan's "Sigwa"


           “I totally admire the youths of 1970s!”  This immediately registered to my mind after watching the internationally acclaimed movie Sigwa by brilliant Joel Lamangan. Staging the culmination of “End on Impunity” week-long event, I think that last Saturday afternoon was indeed a full blast, seriously awakening.

            The movie loaded with flashbacks gave the feeling of putting oneself back to the first quarter storm. It also relates the audience that being a student confronting with social issues at present cannot be just different to what students before experienced. However, there is a thick line that distinguishes my generation’s reaction compared to what our parent’s generation of being students back in 70s.  I felt that they were more active. I felt that they were more united and dedicated.

            I love the idea that the movie explains us the truth on why people resort to activism. Simply on what is the rationale behind why the characters, specially the youth engage in underground movements. They aren’t to be blame for all the activities they have done before, from marching on the streets, from holding placards, from resisting the police’ forces, etc. I personally hail them for all of these. I feel the anger that squeezed their hearts. I saw their tears that trickles down to their cheeks. I feel for their struggle.

            With the crowd of people who intensely watched the movie, I think we are all in common feeling that drives us to realize that in the end, being an activist is the best for those who have the courageous hearts. I admired these people for having deeply rooted sentiments in them against inequalities. Well, I have been into this stage but no time for me to be a radical. Rallies from the panting leadership of Gloria to the spring of Noynoy’s presidency made up my college life. I know that the intensity of my experience were incomparable to what Pauleen Luna, Marvin Agustin, Megan Young, Lovi Poe, etc. did in the movie, but I know that the feeling in forwarding the struggle is the same.

            There were some disappointments in the progress of the story. When they were all fragmented and their circle of friends was dismantled, I think that they were all innocent of it, not until Marvin Agustin-turned-Tirso Crus III’s rise into political power. His role of being a traitor to his comrades signals how activists turned to be pliant like a bamboo when situation calls for a matter of death. On the other hand, I have a high regard for Pauleen Luna-turned-Zsa Zsa Padilla in continuing the struggle in the country side. She was a fierce woman with nationalist and scientific principles embedded in her personality.

            After all, I hope that the story behind the movie will put a tingling sensation down to our spine with a realization that it is the masses that go along with our struggle. I love the idea of “social practice” taught to the main characters by their professor. Thus, the vehicle towards the courage is to feel the masses and to seek for a better future for the greater good.  

Lastly, the movie is composed of few words, “Serve the People!”

No comments:

Post a Comment